cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Gill <>
Subject Update: Plugins to NPM (Phase 1)
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:20:11 GMT
Our master branch has plugin fetching from npm set as the fallback now. It
will go directly to npm if the plugin-id entered isn't reverse domain name
style. Cordova-lib also warns users to use the package-name instead of
plugin-id when adding plugins that we have renamed and are in

Plugins TODO:

- README: Move doc/en/ into Delete doc/en/ Add
links in that point to github page of translated docs for plugin.
I'd love to hear from someone (Victor?) working on docs translations about
how this change will impact them.

- Rename plugin-ids to new plugin names in plugin.xml. Anything we should
be aware of before we do this? (Ex. rename org.apache.cordova.device to
cordova-plugin-device in plugin.xml)

- Add peer dependencies to plugins that depend on other plugins (file,
media-capture, etc)

- Paramedic support for every plugin

- Major version bump for all core plugins

- Update plugins release process to use package.json version as main
version and have it update plugin.xml's version. Will do this when we do
next release

Migration TODO:

- Create blog post talking about migration to npm for community

- include how we are renaming, suggest they do so if they want to. Will
suggest they follow the pattern cordova-plugin-*

- mention for warning
- include potential lifespan of CPR (publishing and read only)
- Discuss plugman createpackage.json command
- Discuss keyword: 'ecosystem:cordova'

Thoughts? Missing anything?