cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Cordova-Plugin-Whitelist and Cordova-Plugin-Legacy-Whitelist Plugins Release (attempt 2)
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:49:27 GMT
So this isn't a -1, unless we can't fix the problem in cordova-lib. And
it's okay, I think, to fix it in cordova-lib/master and release that as
well. Nothing is actually broken by publishing either app-hello-world or
plugin-whitelist until we release a version of tools that is pinned to the
new hello-world.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Mark Koudritsky <kamrik@google.com> wrote:

> Looks like this breaks on cordova-android 3.7.1 (currently latest released)
>
> cordova-app-hello-world requires the whitelist plugin
> whitelist plugin depends on cordova-android 4.0 via the engine tag
> <engine name="cordova-android" version=">=4.0.0-dev" />
> The resulting error message is
> Plugin doesn't support this project's cordova-android version.
> cordova-android: 3.7.1, failed version requirement: >=4.0.0-dev
>
> Simply removing the <engine> tag results in compile errors. (change
> in CustomConfigXmlParser.parse() signature).
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated. Ideas we came up with
> in a quick discussion:
>
> 1. Add "ignore" attribute to the <engine> tag that would result in plugin
> being silently ignored for incompatible engines rather than going down in
> flames.
> 2. Add either <version> child or "version" attribute to the <platform> tag
> in plugin.xml

This is my favorite idea so far -- I think we could do something like this:
<plugin ... >
  <platform name="android">
    <version match=">=4.0.0">
      <!-- tags -->
    </version>
  </platform>
</plugin>

I think this is overdue, and we'll find it useful as we move from 3.x to
4.x on other platforms as well. We would allow multiple <version> tags
inside of each <platform>, and any tags outside of the <version> tags are
the default if nothing matches.

In this case, there won't be any tags outside of the <version> tag, so the
fallback for 3.x is to install nothing, but succeed.

Ian