cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <>
Subject Re: Cordova WP8: switching to Newtonsoft.Json
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:37:56 GMT
I'm not sure about whether Cordova has any specific policies -- there's no
hard rule that says we can't use third-party code, and even include it in
our distributions (see Cordova-Android and okhttp, for instance), but we
should probably discuss it on-list first.

There are definitely rules, policies, and guidelines at the Apache level --
no distribution of binaries, for instance, and there are probably questions
of license interaction as well between Apache and MIT licenses, if we're
combining the code at all.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon) <> wrote:

> This[1] PR is being opened for a while so let's make a final decision if
> we switch to Newtonsoft.Json  or reject it.
> The idea of adding Newtonsoft.Json (MIT license) [1] looks good to me and
> I can quickly add necessary improvements to make sure everything looks good
> and works - as per mobile spec tests there are no new issues found.
> But I'm not sure about our policies regarding adding new third party
> dependencies. Should it be discussed/voted here before merge? Does it
> documented somewhere?
> PS. If we go w/ Newtonsoft.Json   I propose to just add reference to
> compiled dll and not to keep source code due to size(200kb vs 19mb) and
> compile time reasons.

Distributing the .dll without the source will *definitely* be a problem.
Distributing the .dll with the source *might* be a problem. The only way
we've been able to do this in the past (see Gradle and Crosswalk for two
recent examples) is to have a script that the user runs (even as part of
the platform scripts) that downloads the library from somewhere trusted and
installs it. We can't ship binaries as part of an Apache project.