cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] cordova-wp8 + Newtonsoft.JSON
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:04:44 GMT
We have several options, of varying difficulty, legal responsibility, risk,
and technical debt.

1. Redistribute Newtonsoft.JSON (NJ) source code as part of every new
cordova-wp8 project
  - it's a lot of code to add to the project, more that cordova-wp8 itself
  - we completely control our dependencies and will never fall out of sync

2. Redistribute NJ source as part of the library and have every new
cordova-wp8 project link to it.
  - some added complexity, but technically sound, and not as wasteful
seeming as #1
  - we could have issues with dependencies if NJ included source changes
between cordova-wp8 versions

3. Redistribute NJ source, build it when cordova-wp8 is installed on the
users machine, add the .dll to every new cordova-wp8 project.
   - same issues/benefits as #2, some added complexity

4. Redistribute NJ as a pre-built dll and as part of the wp8 template.
  - I like this best, but we have to dig through legal some more.

5. Do some magic with nuget dependencies so VS will download it.
  - lots of unknowns ( to me, others may know more )
  - can only create cordova-wp8 projects when online ( Android already has
this restriction )

6. Redistribute NJ as a cordova-wp8  plugin and make it a dependency of
cordova-wp8
  - a little awkward, but doable

7. Do nothing
  - realistically wp8 should be deprecated soon, wp8.1 has much more to
offer, and win10 is on the horizon. We could just let the sun set.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com