cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Barham <Tim.Bar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Question about plugin/platform --save: src vs version?
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:44:44 GMT
So... I agree that:

a) if we don't find it in the specified location, we should fail, and
b) storing the version is really superfluous when a source location is specified (since we're
gonna grab whatever is at the specified location regardless of version).

And particularly since one of our goals with this was to move towards being more npm'ish -
'npm install' doesn't save the version when you specify a source location. For example:

    "dependencies": {
        "semver": "https://github.com/npm/node-semver/tarball/master"
    }

Jesse - are you suggesting that rather than having a name and a ?version attribute, we instead
store them in a single attribute, something like the following?

    <engine param="windows@^1.2.3"  />
    <engine param="windows@http://myplatforms/cordova-windows.tgz" />

(I'm not actually suggesting "param" BTW - just something for the sake of example)

That's a possibility, though it makes it harder to quickly look up something by name (that
is, simply find the element that has a 'name' attribute that matches). So I'd prefer to keep
the name ad the other bit in separate attributes, but use the same attribute name whether
we're storing version or source. That, we go with:

    <engine name="windows" xxx="https://github.com/apache/cordova-windows/tarball/master"
/>
    <engine name="windows" xxx="^1.2.3" />

But where "xxx" is something other than "version" or "src" (something that works for both
types of value). Any suggestions? Only thing that comes to my mind right now is "at" (because
of the "@"):

    <engine name="windows" at="https://github.com/apache/cordova-windows/tarball/master"
/>
    <engine name="windows" at="^1.2.3" />