cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: [Cordova Wiki] Update of "IssueWorkflow" by MarcelKinard
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:11:28 GMT
FYI, here are some changes I made today to the contributor workflow. A new person was onboarding
using this document and ran into some problems around the names of the git remotes. This should
correct that.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org>
> To: Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org>
> Date: March 23, 2015 at 12:32:20 PM EDT
> Subject: [Cordova Wiki] Update of "IssueWorkflow" by MarcelKinard
>
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cordova Wiki" for change notification.
>
> The "IssueWorkflow" page has been changed by MarcelKinard:
> https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/IssueWorkflow?action=diff&rev1=21&rev2=22
>
> Comment:
> cleaned up some inconsistencies in the name of the git remote
>
>   * Here is a list of what you are [[https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Role+Based+JIRA+Authorization|permitted
to do]] in Jira, depending on your role.

>  === Providing Patches ===
> - There are a couple of ways to provide a patch:
> + There are a few possible ways to provide a patch:
> +  * You can send a pull request to the [[https://github.com/search?q=%40apache+cordova|github.com/apache/cordova]]-*
repository. This is the preferred way. The instructions below assume this approach.
> +    * To ensure that your request is seen, paste the pull request link into the relevant
JIRA issue, or in an email to the mailing-list.
>   * You can upload patches to Jira via `git format-patch`
>   * You could paste a diff to Jira (you won't get authorship if you do this)
> -  * You can send a pull request to the [[https://github.com/search?q=%40apache+cordova|github.com/apache/cordova]]-*
repository
> -    * To ensure that your request is seen, paste the pull request link into the relevant
JIRA issue, or in an email to the mailing-list.
>   * You should '''always''' call out someone to review your changes. You can pick a reviewer
from the  [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Acomponents-panel|component
list]].

>  == Git Workflow ==
> @@ -33, +33 @@
>

>  === Setting up your repository ===
>  If you already have a git repository for the area where you'll be doing work, great,
you can skip this step.
> - The following commands will give you two remotes: origin (apache) and github (your
repository). Replace `you` with your github.com account name in the following commands:
> +
> + Start by getting a github.com account. Replace `you` with your github.com account name
in the following commands.
> +
> + Next, find the desired Apache repository on github.com (i.e., https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs.git
) and fork it so that you have your own copy of the repo on your own github.com account (i.e.,
https://github.com/you/cordova-docs.git ).
> +
> + Run the following commands, they will give you two remotes: origin (your repository)
and apache (apache):
>  {{{
> + $ git clone https://github.com/you/cordova-docs.git
> - $ git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cordova-docs.git
> + $ git remote add apache https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cordova-docs.git
> - $ git remote add github https://github.com/you/cordova-docs.git
>  }}}
>  === Update your master branch ===
>  You'll want to update from upstream to make sure you're working on the latest code.
Work starts from the master branch.

>  {{{
> - $ git fetch origin
> + $ git fetch apache
>  $ git checkout master
>  }}}
>
> @@ -196, +201 @@
>
>  $ git checkout CB-1234
>  $ git push origin CB-1234
>  }}}
> +
> + The push command will prompt you for your github.com userid and password.
> +
>  == Sharing your Changes ==
>  By pushing your topic branch onto your fork, a cordova-x committer can review and merge
your topic branch into the main repository.