cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Update: Plugins to NPM (Phase 1)
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:05:31 GMT
I have a few questions about Phase 1 (and beyond) as I plan how to migrate the Intel XDK and
existing user projects through this change.

-  Will the release be named Cordova 5.0?  This seems worthy of a major bump for the CLI in
addition to the plugins.

-  What is the current estimate for the release?  I assume soon.

-  For the purpose of my questions, I'll assume the release occurs on April 1.  This means
that the CPR becomes read-only on July 1 and is deleted on Oct 1?

-  On Oct 1, all previous releases of Cordova CLI (< 5.0) will immediately be "broken"?
 That is, they cannot add new plugins, they cannot "restore" plugins, etc.  "Local" and "git
repo" plugins continue to work, but my assumption is that the vast majority of plugins come
from CPR (soon to be npm).

Thanks,
Leo

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Gill [mailto:stevengill97@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 5:20 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Cc: sosah.victor@gmail.com
Subject: Update: Plugins to NPM (Phase 1)

Our master branch has plugin fetching from npm set as the fallback now. It
will go directly to npm if the plugin-id entered isn't reverse domain name
style. Cordova-lib also warns users to use the package-name instead of
plugin-id when adding plugins that we have renamed and are in
https://github.com/stevengill/cordova-registry-mapper

Plugins TODO:

- README: Move doc/en/index.md into README.md. Delete doc/en/index.md. Add
links in README.md that point to github page of translated docs for plugin.
(ex.
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-device/blob/master/doc/es/index.md).
I'd love to hear from someone (Victor?) working on docs translations about
how this change will impact them.

- Rename plugin-ids to new plugin names in plugin.xml. Anything we should
be aware of before we do this? (Ex. rename org.apache.cordova.device to
cordova-plugin-device in plugin.xml)

- Add peer dependencies to plugins that depend on other plugins (file,
media-capture, etc)

- Paramedic support for every plugin

- Major version bump for all core plugins

- Update plugins release process to use package.json version as main
version and have it update plugin.xml's version. Will do this when we do
next release

Migration TODO:

- Create blog post talking about migration to npm for community

- include how we are renaming, suggest they do so if they want to. Will
suggest they follow the pattern cordova-plugin-*

- mention https://github.com/stevengill/cordova-registry-mapper for warning
purposes
- include potential lifespan of CPR (publishing and read only)
- Discuss plugman createpackage.json command
- Discuss keyword: 'ecosystem:cordova'

Thoughts? Missing anything?