cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Murat Sutunc <mura...@microsoft.com>
Subject Adding unit tests to travis for Android/iOS
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:21:50 GMT
There has been a lot of discussion about tests lately and I feel the urge to jump in and make
some suggestions regarding the way we test things. I'm still fairly new in the community and
sometimes don't have the whole background story, so please if I'm missing something let me
know.

Currently we have bunch of platforms with failing tests. I'm assuming that, when these tests
were first added, they were all passing. My theory is that over time platforms moved forward
but tests remain stagnant and now bunch of them are failing. I think we should consider running
these tests automatically to ensure:

a)      We keep maintaining unit-tests tests regularly

b)      We run all unit tests before checking in code

c)       Reduce the friction for new developers
For unit tests, I think it's a good idea to integrate them into CI builds. This will probably
add some extra time on travis/appveyor but it shouldn't take more than 1hr. I think it's a
fair trade off to wait some more and have an overall more stable Cordova. We can always skip
the CI build step if it's an urgent fix (security, critical bug, etc). I've checked travis
and both iOS and Android configs come with SDK tools preinstalled, so there are no blockers
to going forward with this.

Thoughts?