cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Chase <>
Subject CB-8444: Proposal to deprecate the clobber of by InAppBrowser
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:19:17 GMT
For CB-8444, I'm proposing to eventually remove the clobber of
'' that is done by the InAppBrowser plugin.

The problem I'm trying to solve is unintended changes to the behaviour of calls in an app.  An example of untended change is an app that
adds a plugin which provides an external web-based authentication flow.
The plugin has a dependency on InAppBrowser, in order to provide the
web-based login.  The app developer would likely be unaware that the
InAppBrowser plugin clobbers  As a result, calls
that would open the system browser, will show the pages in the InAppBrowser

The first step is to add a new API to access the InAppBrowser, instead of  The behaviour of the plugin is unchanged, it's just accessed
via a different symbol.  This is covered by the referenced pull request [1].

In a future major release, the second step is to remove the clobber of  If an app wishes all calls to be handled by the
InAppBrowser, the app can explicitly implement the clobber.  Conversely,
other apps are no longer forced to work around the clobber of

I'd welcome any comments on this proposal.  This includes any example use
cases that want the clobber of by the plugin.

Google Cordova Team