cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Connor Pearson <>
Subject Thoughts on CB-7827
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:30:29 GMT
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the status of CB-7827 is. It causes the APK and activity
name to be set to a hardcoded value. It's been open since October and has
more votes and watchers than any other Cordova bug.

According to the Android documentation (,
you should never change the android:name attribute. So developers working
on an already published app must perform a manual fix of several files
every time the android platform is added.

The root cause of the issue is Cordova now hardcodes the main activity name
as CordovaApp (or MainActivity). This was done to fix CB-6511. I have a
couple of ideas for fixing this bug without regressing CB-6511:

- Use the project name as the activity name then fall back to the hardcoded
name if the project name uses 16 bit characters.

- Allow the user to specify android-activityName in config.xml. Similar to

- Another option could be to combine the two, attempting to use
android-activityName first then falling back to the project name then
finally falling back the hardcoded name.

Do you think any of these ideas are worth pursuing? I'd be willing to work
on a pull request, but I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction.