cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Android packaging signed archive - Gradle vs Ant
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:44:44 GMT
Sorry for the slow reply :(.

I believe the environment variable docs have been updated in cordova-docs.
just not pushed to the website yet.

The gradle support has certainly come a long way since the signing logic
was first added. There are two goals here, i think:

1. Allow signing of debug/release when building directly from cordova/build
script
2. Allow signing of debug/release when building via a CLI project

For #1:
- Users could use a build-extras.gradle to set the values directly
- We could have the gradle script auto-detect the presence of a signing
.properties file

For #2:
- I'm assuming for CLI we're going with having signing details in a .json
(seemed to have buy-in)
- It's important that the .gradle file picks up the signing info without
any extra command-line hints, so that you can build via Android Studio.
- build-extras.gradle is meant to be used only by end-users. However, we
can set properties via gradle.properties file, or have CLI edit the main
build.gradle file

So, how about we address #1 by:
- Users should use build-extras.gradle to specify signing info directly, or
via cdvReleaseSigningPropertiesFile
- Change build.gradle to auto-set cdvReleaseSigningPropertiesFile if a file
named "release-signing.properties" exists as a sibling (likewise for debug)

and address #2 by:
Have CLI extract signing info from .json and create
"release-signing.properties" in the project directory upon prepare.

In all of this:
- Let's keep support for the existing key names within the properties file
(since some early-adopters are already using it)
- But let's also allow the ant-style key names

WDYT?