cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Dmitriy Barkalov (Akvelon)" <>
Subject RE: Cordova Automated Testing
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:35:50 GMT

I like your idea of adding tests from different formats. I.e. you search for standard Cordova
plugin tests like in core plugins and for non-standard tests like plane test.js file. I think
it is a good point to provide a way for plugin authors to either reformat their tests to existing
format or provide new test format parser. Unfortunately, we can't run away from requirement
to use Jasmin 2.0 but still it is more freedom.

It also seems that in many ways your application is doing the same things as plugin testing
framework. It provides a page to run tests, holds Jasmine and puts results into CouchDB. But
it is less flexible because cannot be included into other application, while any Cordova application
can install plugin testing framework and get a page to run manual and automated tests.

So I vote for porting some of the new features from this tool back to plugin testing framework
and letting developers reuse this functionality.

Regards, Dmitriy

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitry Blotsky []
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: Cordova Automated Testing

Hi Shazron,

Thank you for your feedback! It actually doesn’t work on iOS because it seems like the most
recent whitelist changes broke things. I ran "npm test" for the code in master and some of
them fail because of whitelisting. That’s just my intuition though: I don’t know exactly
why it’s not working yet.

Regarding reporting though, reporting to localhost is actually just the default - you can
pass a host and port on the CLI and it will report to a CouchDB server like mobilespec did.
There is an immediate next step in my development efforts to make it not tied to CouchDB,
or to at least allow the user to specify the URI format for reporting. Also, thanks for pointing
out the ‘npm install’ requirement. I added it to the docs. The reporting to console also
happens, but it’s currently just limited to console.log. Medivac uses all the standard Jasmine
reporters (HTML, console, and JSAPI).

And indeed, I will definitely drop a line to Jesse. Is it well-received in the Apache community
to schedule meetings to discuss details, or should detailed discussions also be happening
on the mailing list?

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Shazron <> wrote:
> Also, the tool does not work on the device (I tried iOS), unlike
> mobile-spec since it's trying to connect to localhost for reporting.
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Dmitry Blotsky <> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> Over the past few weeks, I've developed an automated mobilespec-like tool in the
process of resuscitating Cordova's CI. It's tentatively called cordova-medivac, and it can
currently be found here: I'd like to pitch it
to the community as a potential alternative or replacement for mobilespec. There have been
several tools in the past few weeks on the list, and I've tried to incorporate the features
they have into this tool.
>> It contains the following new features:
>> -          Testing any list of plugins at a time - not just the core ones; they're
passed as a CLI argument
>> -          Support for "new-style" plugin-test-framework-only tests, as well just
pure Jasmine spec files that don't use test-framework
>> -          No manual interaction required - it is very basic and just runs the Jasmine
tests as soon as it starts
>> -          Very little code - it basically just creates a simple dummy app with plugins
(like mobilespec)
>> -          Cleaner code - some refactoring was done to remove a few code smells
>> -          No flaky UI
>> -          Optionally reporting test results to a URI (currently assumed to be a
CouchDB server)
>> Current shortcomings:
>> -          The special plugins inside cordova-mobile-spec that contain tests have
not yet been copied over
>> -          The code is similar, so some functionality is not exactly the same, so
it's not 100% compatible with mobilespec
>> -          Some error-checking is still missing (like verifying that CLI/JS/lib are
locally linked instead of global)
>> -          Cordova-JS Grunt build task is not being automatically run on creation
>> -          Barebones hard-coded list of "core" plugins; doesn't include convenience
lists like the new ones in mobilespec
>> -          Doesn't support current manual tests
>> I'd like to ask you if you would support any of the following proposed ideas:
>> -          Reach 100% parity and replace cordova-mobile-spec with this tool or,
>> -          If not replace, then port some of the code cleanup and new features from
 this tool back to mobilespec or,