cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Sidney Bofah <sidney.bo...@googlemail.com>
Subject Crosswalk-powered InAppBrowser plugin
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2015 23:25:26 GMT
Hi all,

my company recently required the availability of a high-performance Android modal WebView
(that is, Chromium-based, disposable, free of memory leaks, etc.) in context of a Crosswalk-based
Cordova/Ionic project. My research had shown that the widely used InAppBrowser plugin has
not made any progress or attempts in terms of being extended (or migrated) towards using the
XWalkView stuff yet. However, as the container app already employed Cordova-Crosswalk, this
seemed counterintuitive. Solutions such as the Cocoon "WebViewPlus" were too opaque.

As a solution, i devised a version of the plugin that uses Crosswalk (13/Canary) as its rendering
engine, with a dependency on the "cordova-engine-crosswalk" project (the host project is based
on Ionic). In this context, it was required to migrate its legacy WebView architecture to
Chromium. The results are promising this far, and could possibly benefit many Android apps
using rendering-intensive, temporary webviews.

Currently, the code lives in a private repository, but is to be open sourced. My questions
are: Which project, branch, repo etc. would be the correct context for contributing?

Cheers,
Sidney
------
https://github.com/sidneys