cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: https://www.apache.org/dist/cordova/
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:45:28 GMT
Steven Gill wrote:
>Installing through dist isn't our recommended way to install Cordova. If
>rather have people have to read the blog than just press a big download
>button without reading.

Are we required by apache to have this thing?

Because, I'd rather have something that says "run `npm install cordova`"
than the rather notable download thing that takes me to a useless /
confusing section — this is from the main http://cordova.apache.org/ page:

DOWNLOAD Cordova version 4.0.0 <http://cordova.apache.org/#download>

Clicking the download button-link-thing takes you to:

Download & Archives
It is recommended that the cordova CLI be installed from npm rather than
downloading this .zip version.

^ note that there is no explanation here about how to use npm to install
cordova (or how to get npm)

For more information on installing the npm version see the Command-Line
Interface
<http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/4.0.0//guide_cli_index.md.html#The%20Com
mand-Line%20Interface> section of the documentation.

^ well, there's this, but it's TL;DR

You can find our release zips with corresponding OpenPGPkeys, MD5 and SHA
files on the Apache Cordova dist page
<https://www.apache.org/dist/cordova/>.
Our artwork <http://cordova.apache.org/artwork.html> is also available.
Older versions can be downloaded from the archive
<http://archive.apache.org/dist/cordova/>.

This entire section is really poorly organized. :(