cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <>
Subject Deprecation Wars: ICS vs Gingerbread
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 23:39:05 GMT

So, 2015 is here, and we have the new Android Pie Chart:

Due to two percentage points on ICS and three on Gingerbread, we're stuck
supporting these platforms for the near future, but it looks like we're in
the bad spot of them reaching the magic 5% at the same time.  Since I don't
like the idea of automatically dropping 10% of devices, I'm wondering what
we should deprecate first.

Also, can we get better numbers for what's out there? Right now we still
have the only single point of reference, which is the Google Play store.
This doesn't cover China, or any other emerging markets.  That said, things
like Android One, and vendors like Xiaomi are making KitKat and Lolipop the
standard.  I know that I'm once again touching off a flame war between
developers who know that these platforms don't get the tests they need to
be actually considered supported, and various business interests who for
some unknown reason need this support, but we should have this discussion