cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gerbasi <rgerb...@gmail.com>
Subject Cordova/PhoneGap Local Install
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:12:50 GMT
Hey gang,

I have been poking around with trying to come up with a workflow that does
not require installing cordova or phonegap globally. I haven't been able to
come up with anything and I wanted to see if i am missing something, was
this ever a goal, should it be a goal we work to add into the package?

Cordova for iOS also requires ios-deploy/ios-sim to be installed globally
which would be awesome if we didn't need to do that.

I feel we need a couple things to make this happen. First would be some
kind of npm-exec command added to node itself. Much like what is provided
by this package

https://www.npmjs.com/package/npm-exec

This would allow us to do something like npm exec corodva and run our
binary from the local folder. Currently this seems to only be enabled when
running scripts. Now we can always do this via ./node_modules/bin/cordova
also but its certainly not as pretty. This would also give us a way to run
ios-deploy via the local bin folder.

Second is a hard stop we have when trying to generate a package into a
folder with existing content. So for example if I make a folder called
TestApp and npm install cordova into that folder. If I attempt to run
"./node_modules/cordova create ." we get the warning that the folder
contains stuff.

So I guess I am mainly curious what people think, locally install packages
seems to be preferable to a lot of people. Does anyone have any strong
opinions or other ideas on how to achieve this?

-ross