cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: Automatically installing missing platforms from cli
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 17:24:25 GMT
For users, particularly those that don't use Cordova every day, I'd
prefer a straightforward set of primitives with minimal side effects
that don't require recollection of much beyond the names of the primitives.

 From a development standpoint, my impression is that Cordova is already
complex enough that it's difficult to move from one release to another
without breaking something.

Simplicity is good.

-Terence

On 1/12/2015 1:19 PM, Michael Brooks wrote:
> By the sounds of it, the Cordova team is not in agreement on whether we
> should auto-add platforms with the Cordova CLI.
>
> My two cents is: Fil Maj and I created the Cordova CLI to be an explicit
> CLI tool that produced parseable output for programmatic consumption. It's
> a tool for distributions to use. The PhoneGap CLI, on the other hand, is a
> simple CLI that helps the user and produced human-readable output. It's a
> tool for human use. That said, this philosophy has been long lost - the
> Cordova CLI is absolutely awful at programmatic usage.
>
> The implementation is trivial but this discussion is important. As a team,
> the Cordova contributors need to decide what they want. The worse thing
> that can happen is for this feature to be force pushed into `master`
> without a positive consensus.
>

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Terence M. Bandoian <terence@tmbsw.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Creating directories and downloading and installing files is a lot of
>>> "magic" that may not be desired. Here's another Git example:
>>>
>> Compiling on android downloads & creates a bunch of files, but it  is what
>> you want it to do. When would this not be desired? It's an easily undo-able
>> operation.
>>
>> With git, it's actually really important that you know what each command
>> does. With cordova, I don't think it's as important that you understand how
>> it works. You can get by with the fact that it does work.
>>

>>> $ git commit -m "commit test."
>>> On branch development
>>> Changes not staged for commit:
>>>          modified:   html/data/topics.json
>>>          modified:   html/topics.html
>>>
>>> no changes added to commit
>>>
>>> $ git status
>>> On branch development
>>> Changes not staged for commit:
>>>    (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>>>    (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
>> directory)
>>>          modified:   html/data/topics.json
>>>          modified:   html/topics.html
>>>
>>> no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
>>>
>>> On a related note, is there a diagram somewhere of all the cordova-cli
>>> commands and their associated options?
>>>
>>> -Terence

>> build

>> but