cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Gorkem Ercan" <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: platforms/plugins save and restore from config.xml
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 00:13:30 GMT

On 8 Jan 2015, at 17:29, Mefire O. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a big fan of the experimental "save" and "restore" features that
> are in the CLI and saw that Gorkem has also created another PR
> (https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/143 ) to have a setting to
> auto persist/restore plugin versions which is a really interesting
> idea.

Glad it helps someone. The current PR is for plugins and I will send a
PR for platforms too. The ultimate goal is to be able to remove
platforms and plugins folder completely.

> On a related note, one issue I ran into with platform save/restore is
> when you need to involve multiple operating systems for a given
> project.  Ex: Targeting say iOS, Windows, and Ubuntu from the same
> project or simply have some team members on OSX or Linux while others
> are on Windows - you need to be able to "save" or "restore" only
> platforms that run on the OS you are currently using.
>
> For the restore situation, it seems to make quite a bit of sense to
> use any version information in config.xml when you add a platform by
> default.  The fact the information in is in config.xml indicates the
> goal is consistency.
>
> Here is a PR that adds this functionality for platforms:
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/140#issuecomment-68942932

This functionality makes a lot of sense especially if/when it supports
git urls?

> With that in mind, we could also follow that familiar pattern that
> exists with npm and package.json to help out when you want to quickly
> save the platform you added to config.xml.
>
> Ex:
>
> cordova platform add android --save

I think we should have support for --save on plugins add/remove as well.
Ultimately, I think users of this functionality configure their projects
to be auto restore and use this or the save/restore commands to specify
what needs to be restored.

There is one catch with the implementation though. Save and restore are
still called with --experimental, perhaps we need to remove
--experimental before this can proceed.