cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: Renaming CordovaWebView CordovaWebInterface
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 00:30:36 GMT
I'm not an Android developer, but I recently ‎saw how the getPluginManager() -> pluginManager
change can be handled. I also know that it's possible to build wrappers for interface changes.

I wouldn't be opposed to this change.

I'd probably ask for sample transition code so that people who want to support both can copy
and paste to get there.

(There should be copy and paste code for the Plug-in Manager, I'm not sure if there is...)

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
  Original Message
From: Joe Bowser
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:26 PM
To: dev
Reply To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Renaming CordovaWebView CordovaWebInterface

So, this was something that was brought up numerous times, but I think we
should probably discuss this at least one more time before we move to
finish off 4.0.x.

Given that we're breaking the API for CordovaWebView already, would it make
sense for us to call it a CordovaWebInterface instead? The class has been
changed to an interface, and this would changing it in the Plugin API, but
it would make it more clear what we intend to do with this method in the
future.

What do people think? Should we rename this, or keep it the way it is so
that we keep most of the plugins, including third party plugins working
with 4.0.x, and then do the breakage in 5.0.x.

Note: I want the timeframe between 4.0.x and 5.0.x to be a lot shorter.
There's a lot of iterations that people want to do on this, and we should
release major releases a little more often than once a year for Android,
but that's for another thread.

Thoughts?

Joe