cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Gorkem Ercan" <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: platforms/plugins save and restore from config.xml
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 19:55:57 GMT

On 9 Jan 2015, at 14:13, Treggiari, Leo wrote:

> I had asked some questions about save and restore a while back, but
> have not been following the progress in detail - so ignore me if you
> feel it is appropriate.
>
> One of my biggest questions was why would these commands be an option?

Ironically, the very first implementation did not introduce commands but
rather hooked itself for plugin/platform add/rm and prepare, sort of
like what [1] introduces with config.json preferences. However during
the review it was suggested that these needs to be commands at least for
a while.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/143

> What I'm looking for, as soon as possible, is that Cordova 'project'
> metadata is stored logically and consistently so that the CLI and
> multiple IDEs could simultaneously work on the same project and know
> about what each other have done wrt. adding/removing
> plugins/platforms/etc.

That is one of my motivations, right now too much depends on plugins and
platforms folders being present.

> Does removing experimental advance that goal or does it, as Michal
> says, put obstacles in the path of getting there by requiring long
> term support of an incomplete and possibly confusing (more options?)
> solution?

Removing experimental matters only if we want to keep save and restore
as separate commands. Otherwise, it is a matter of agreeing on a goal.