cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject Re: Apache license in "cordova create"
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2014 19:21:57 GMT
In theory, shouldn't we be able to put that file under an MIT/BSD license
to make people happier?

Getting sample content to be usable by others is a pain, and something
that is one of the last steps people work on.

I think Mozilla moved its tests to MIT to address this.

I have no idea what Apache's policy is.

Unfortunately, I can't find any good examples of this…

https://github.com/eclipsesource/raspberry-pi-examples/blob/master/com.ecli
psesource.iot.photosensor-example/src/com/eclipsesource/iot/photosensor/exa
mple/Main.java

Has an Eclipse license on a sample, which is probably just as bad.

http://hg.netbeans.org/main/file/23e994b27837/apisupport.crudsample/crud-sa
mple-application/CustomerDBAccess/src/demo/Customer.java

Has GPL/CDDL. GPL is clearly useless. I'm not sure CDDL is more helpful
than Apache.

http://www.contactandcoil.com/software/a-very-fast-tutorial-on-open-source-
licenses/

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cayenne-dev/200710.mbox/%3C62FEC22
5-FE92-476B-84C1-69869B179F9E@objectstyle.org%3E

http://apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-a

http://opendata.stackexchange.com/questions/245/cc-by-vs-mit-or-bsd-license
s-regarding-re-use

https://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC0_FAQ

I think we should probably get permission and relicense those files as
CC-0.

CC-0 isn't in the list that Apache has whitelisted, but I think we should
be able to convince apache that this is the right license for these files
(and similar template files to be used to generate content that a consumer
is supposed to be able to do w/ however they please).