cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <anis.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Browserify JS is in
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 02:26:18 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:

> 25MB is for the one-time cordova-cli install, and not overhead for the
> app.  Its not perfect but not a blocker imho.
>
> There are more troubling things about the change than the size overhead:
> - I don't think browserify has "baked" at all.  It was landed behind a
> flag, but is it actually used anywhere?
> - Why browserify and not webpack (aside: its 13Mb..)?  Was it compared at
> all..
> - Last time it was discussed, there were still several breaking changes for
> plugins.  Were they resolved?
>
> Anyway, how can we get data on the change to see if it is positive?:
> - Existing plugins continue to work (We run mobile spec, and get downstream
> distributions run tests on their plugins).
> - Startup time is not negatively affected.
> - Build/prepare time is not negatively affected.
>
> Is that fair?

Absolutely totally fair. Those are valid concerns.

I tried the core plugins and they all work and all pass mobile-spec. I know
you guys (ab)use require('./Module') a lot in chrome plugins but they
should still all pass. I actually would be curious to know the results.
Startup should be faster because it is not XHRing a different file to get a
list of plugins to <script> inject them. I actually didn't benchmark this
but it would be interesting.
Build time is slowed down by a few ms (re-read the first email of this
thread).

> -Michal
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd really like to get it fully spelled out *why* browserify is the right
> > tool for this. Some thoughts below:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
> >
> > > we should move browserify to main and drop that insane concat code
> > >
> > > its not heavyweight at all. it creates a hash in iife with deps mapped
> > > in…as to why dep mgmt is better than concatenating…I don't think we
> need
> > > waste our time talking about that!
> >

> > What makes the concat code insane?
> >  - It's easy to understand and make changes to
> >  - It seems to work fine and is quite stable
> >  - It has no dependencies (it's 52kb within cordova-js/tasks/lib)
> >
> > Browserify seems a bit scary to me:
> > - It's 25MB and has a tonne of dependencies
> > - Do we really need all of that functionality?
> >
> > I think it would actually help a lot to talk about dependency management.
> > - Right now cordova-js creates a module for every file in src/
> > - Plugins list each module explicitly in their plugin.xml
> > With browserify, are you envisioning that this model change at all?
> >

> > Why change anything?
> > - cordova-lib should concat plugin modules with cordova.js on prepare
> (this
> > is the motivation stated in the JIRA. totally on board with this!)
> > What else would I like to see changed?
> > - exec.js (and any other platform-specific modules) should move to live
> in
> > platform repos
> >   - This will make code changes that affect both much easier
> > - Platforms should depend on cordova-js via package.json and snapshot
> > generation should happen in bin/create as well as plugin add/rm
> >   - This will remove the (somewhat) annoying step of snapshotting
> >   - This will allow cordova-js to be released as it's own artifact
> >     - Good because we can do things like add Promise polyfill and not
> need
> > to release all platforms to pick it up
> >     - A bit annoying since it's one more thing to release, but likely
> won't
> > get released often.
> >

> > Please don't look at my email as trying to derail the work Anis did. I
> > believe most of it is necessary to accomplish these goals whether we use
> > Browserify, our own, or some other concattenator. I just question whether
> > 25MB is too much complexity for what we need / want.
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This should be a major, but yeah, I'm fine with making this the
> [...]
Grieve <

the prepare step
> that
(medium term?) I