cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [Android] Gradle is brittle, Android Studio broke my builds
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2014 14:06:07 GMT
On Tue Dec 09 2014 at 5:18:47 PM Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> I just upgraded to Android Studio 1.0 and now none of my 4.0 builds work.
> I'm getting gradle errors everywhere, and I have no idea how to resolve
> them.
>
> I'll file an issue, but this is pretty much a blocker since nothing can
> build once people update their stuff to the latest Android SDK.  I have a
> small demo today, but luckily I already built it before installing Android
> Studio.
>
> Any ideas?

Don't upgrade right before demos?

</kidding>

We talked briefly about this over IM earlier; it looks like there are
issues with the release version of Android Studio installing Gradle 2.x,
which had a hard dependency on a later version of the Android Gradle
plugin, which then breaks all of our dependency checks.

I think the right thing do to (or at least, the thing we've done before in
this situation), is for a couple of us to update all of our build tools,
check that things still work if we update the dependency requirement, and
then update those requirements. We've taken the stance before that it's not
too far out of line to ask developers to be using the latest tools
available.

(Of course, if things *don't* work after updating build tools, then lets
get that fixed ASAP.)

Ian