cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sidaway <>
Subject Apache license in "cordova create"
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:49:54 GMT
I'm a bit puzzled by the Apache license notice present in the following
files after doing "cordova create":

The trouble is that if I begin my project by extending those files, it
seems like the Apache license covers my changes as well as the original
template. It also seems like I am saying that my changes are "licensed to
the Apache Software Foundation under one or more contributor license
agreements". And it doesn't seem like the Apache license would allow me to
remove those notices.

So am I right in thinking that if I want to develop software that I might
not intend to be Apache-licensed and/or licensed to ASF, I have to delete
these 3 files and start from scratch?

This sort of thing seems a little inappropriate in a template. Basically
what it means is that I have to (1) work out what the template does and
which parts I actually need to begin a project, (2) rewrite those parts by
hand (basic html document structure, meta/viewport tag, etc.) taking care
not to resort to copy/paste, (3) gradually realise that the aspects of my
app that behave inconveniently on certain platforms correspond to things I
chose not to copy over from the template.

Is there any other way to approach this? Is it a mistake?