cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: WebView Promise and W3C standards
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 19:20:11 GMT
Minified code is a flat out bad idea and needs to be reverted immediately.
Jesse is right about promises too. Given that native support is immediately
inbound it most certainly should be a plugin. Not core.

I'll reserve debate about it as a lang feature for the drama queens on
hacker news and twitter. ;)

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:

> We would be mandating its support, we have plenty of issues in Jira,
> and this solves none of them.
> ... and minified code? Why? How can I evaluate it?
>
> My mantra is and will remain "Plugins are everything, and everything
> is a plugin"
> What is the inconvenience in having a dependency on a promise plugin?
> I don't see the downside, and I think it would be perfect for those
> who want to use it.
>
> Personally I think we should be pushing the browserify functionality
> in cordova-js, and ripping stuff out, not adding it.
>

> > On Dec 5, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Max Woghiren <maxw@chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > I think it's nice to remove that obstacle from in front of plugin
> > developers who want to use promises.  If we're going to suggest that
> people
> > drop the polyfill in themselves, I don't see the harm in just having it
> > there, especially if we don't mandate its use.
> >
> > Going forward, many/most APIs will use promises; it might get a little
> > unwieldy to have a whole bunch of plugins depend on a promise plugin.
> >
> > The bottom line, for me, is that this doesn't force anyone to use
> promises;
> > it's just easy and there for those who want it.
> >
> >> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Nice, but please don't add this.
> >> Anyone who wants or needs this can do what you did, and if I start
> seeing
> >> promise code throughout Cordova.js I may run.
> >>
> >> We should be looking to get rid of Cordova.js entirely, not add more
> deps.
> >>
> >> Why not a promise plugin?
> >>
> >> Fyi: promises invoke my fight or flight response, and I have only found
> >> them useful for blocking contribution. That said, they already exist in
> >> windows8.1 as part of winjs.
> >>

> >> Sent from mobile

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-js.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/promise

> cordova.js