cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <>
Subject Re: 4.0 Sprint Tasks (Another "Hey, let's ship 4.0.x soon" post)
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:00:52 GMT
On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Joe Bowser <> wrote:

> Hey
> After messing with the JS for a week, I decided for now to stop work on
> MozillaView.  I think I've managed to prove that the concept is at least
> possible, but I really feel that it's still too unstable to actually show
> past a demo/POC at this time.  We've definitely learned some lessons, and
> I'll probably write a blog post on them soon, and pick up work in the new
> year.
> That said, we should really concentrate on shipping 4.0 in January, we
> should do the following:
> 1. Bump up the targeted version to 5.0

We should do this for 3.7.0

> 2. Allow for users to target KitKat for Quirks Mode (I'm not kidding,
> Quirks mode is back.  Chrome is the new IE! WTF MAN!)

Please confirm whether you mean something different from letting users
specify targetSdkVersion

> 3. Get the gradle work in.  MUCH FASTER! LESS SPAM! WOW!

Woohoo! It's actually already been shipping in master / 3.6.0 behind an
environment variable (ANDROID_BUILD=gradle).

> 4. Get the JUnit tests working with Gradle/Android Studio.  I don't think
> this is a 4.0 task per-se, but we should do it right after 4.0 is released.
> 5. Stare at the pie chart wishing that 9 was 5.  (Anyone who knows our
> deprecation policies knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about).
> I do have one API change I want to make.  I want to rename the
> CordovaWebView interface CordovaWebInterface so that it's obvious that it's
> an interface.  Since people using the old CordovaWebView embedded feature
> are going to have to do a find/replace on the XML, this doesn't really
> matter.  Of course, the people using this feature may beg to differ.  If
> you're using this feature, and you care about it still working with your
> current code, PLEASE TEST 4.0 NOW.

Agree it's super confusing, especially when merging master->4.0.x. However,
doing this would have the potential to break any plugin that is holding a
reference to the webview. I think the other changes are more breaking
anyways though (in particular, having it not be an Android View anymore).