cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: 4.0 Sprint Tasks (Another "Hey, let's ship 4.0.x soon" post)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:43:16 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed Dec 10 2014 at 8:03:10 AM Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey
> > >
> > > After messing with the JS for a week, I decided for now to stop work on
> > > MozillaView.  I think I've managed to prove that the concept is at
> least
> > > possible, but I really feel that it's still too unstable to actually
> show
> > > past a demo/POC at this time.  We've definitely learned some lessons,
> and
> > > I'll probably write a blog post on them soon, and pick up work in the
> new
> > > year.
> > >
> > > That said, we should really concentrate on shipping 4.0 in January, we
> > > should do the following:
> > >
> > > 1. Bump up the targeted version to 5.0
> > >

> > We should do this for 3.7.0
> >

> I don't think we should bother with 3.7.0 at this point.  Adobe employees
> have a week left before they disappear for Winter Break, and I'm sure other
> people are going to vanish as the holidays approach.  We should probably
> just go straight to 4.0 in January?

There's a lot of changes in 3.7.0 built up already. I don't think it'd be a
good idea to skip it.

> > > 2. Allow for users to target KitKat for Quirks Mode (I'm not kidding,
> > > Quirks mode is back.  Chrome is the new IE! WTF MAN!)
> > >

> > Please confirm whether you mean something different from letting users
> > specify targetSdkVersion.
> >

> No, That's what I meant.  I just remembered that we do allow users to do
> this.
>

> > > 3. Get the gradle work in.  MUCH FASTER! LESS SPAM! WOW!
> > >

> > Woohoo! It's actually already been shipping in master / 3.6.0 behind an
> > environment variable (ANDROID_BUILD=gradle).
> >

> I don't like the whole ship behind an environment variable practice, since
> it seems like a way to avoid having to create a feature branch.  I really
> wish that Gradle was a feature branch thing.  Also, can one of you guys
> smack the Android team on the back of the head for that Gradle dependency
> hell they created?  The whole point of Gradle is to bundle the dependencies
> locally so they don't blow up when you change the system, and the plugin
> severely screws with that.
>

> > > 4. Get the JUnit tests working with Gradle/Android Studio.  I don't
> think
> > > this is a 4.0 task per-se, but we should do it right after 4.0 is
> > released.
> > > 5. Stare at the pie chart wishing that 9 was 5.  (Anyone who knows our
> > > deprecation policies knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about).
> > >
> > > I do have one API change I want to make.  I want to rename the
> > > CordovaWebView interface CordovaWebInterface so that it's obvious that
> > it's
> > > an interface.  Since people using the old CordovaWebView embedded
> feature
> > > are going to have to do a find/replace on the XML, this doesn't really
> > > matter.  Of course, the people using this feature may beg to differ.
> If
> > > you're using this feature, and you care about it still working with
> your
> > > current code, PLEASE TEST 4.0 NOW.
> > >

> > Agree it's super confusing, especially when merging master->4.0.x.
> However,
> > doing this would have the potential to break any plugin that is holding a
> > reference to the webview. I think the other changes are more breaking
> > anyways though (in particular, having it not be an Android View anymore).
> >

> Yeah, I did have that argument earlier.  Then I did the Refactor/Rename in
> Eclipse and realized that if I can do a Find/Replace, other people can as
> well and get their plugins working.  I do want the interface to reference a
> view ideally, but that's an optional feature (and one that Crosswalk
> doesn't do AFAIK).
>
> BTW: Have people adopted Android Studio for Cordova dev yet? I'm probably
> going to in the new year, since that's what everyone's using now and
> Eclipse has been totally deprecated.

I've made the switch. The biggest gotcha is that you need to do a build of
the project from the command-line before importing into Android Studio.
This is because we don't create the .gradle files until build.js (and we
should just fix this and do it on create / prepare).