cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Max Woghiren <m...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: WebView Promise and W3C standards
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:03:49 GMT
I can easily change to expanded (non-minified) code; I went with smaller
size, expecting that people wouldn't be wanting to inspect the promise
polyfill code.  No big deal.

Earlier in this very thread, people (Jesse included) asserted that it
should be in core, and Andrew outlined rationale.  I was trying to make
progress on a task that seemed like a go-ahead and was then left hanging.
If enough people believe it should be a plugin, then we can certainly go
that way.  Looking forward to more input.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:

> We would be mandating its support, we have plenty of issues in Jira,
> and this solves none of them.
> ... and minified code? Why? How can I evaluate it?
>
> My mantra is and will remain "Plugins are everything, and everything
> is a plugin"
> What is the inconvenience in having a dependency on a promise plugin?
> I don't see the downside, and I think it would be perfect for those
> who want to use it.
>
> Personally I think we should be pushing the browserify functionality
> in cordova-js, and ripping stuff out, not adding it.
>

> > On Dec 5, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Max Woghiren <maxw@chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > I think it's nice to remove that obstacle from in front of plugin
> > developers who want to use promises.  If we're going to suggest that
> people
> > drop the polyfill in themselves, I don't see the harm in just having it
> > there, especially if we don't mandate its use.
> >
> > Going forward, many/most APIs will use promises; it might get a little
> > unwieldy to have a whole bunch of plugins depend on a promise plugin.
> >
> > The bottom line, for me, is that this doesn't force anyone to use
> promises;
> > it's just easy and there for those who want it.
> >
> >> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Nice, but please don't add this.
> >> Anyone who wants or needs this can do what you did, and if I start
> seeing
> >> promise code throughout Cordova.js I may run.
> >>
> >> We should be looking to get rid of Cordova.js entirely, not add more
> deps.
> >>
> >> Why not a promise plugin?
> >>
> >> Fyi: promises invoke my fight or flight response, and I have only found
> >> them useful for blocking contribution. That said, they already exist in
> >> windows8.1 as part of winjs.
> >>

> >> Sent from mobile

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-js.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/promise

> cordova.js