cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Lantz <cla...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Introduction
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 16:04:44 GMT
Hey Ally,

Thanks for letting us know!

Here's what I do: The Windows Phone emulator works inside of Parallels on an OSX machine.
 You just need to bump up the RAM and CPUs a bit in your VM and check "Enable nested virtualization."

-Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: Ally Ogilvie [mailto:aogilvie@wizcorp.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:09 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: Introduction

Hi Dmitry, and other recent MS devs that have joined the Cordova bullet train (Omar, Sergey..etc.).

Since you guys are all on this channel now i'd like to say that it would be really nice if
there was an alternative Windows Phone emulator that does not use Hyper-V so more devs can
develop for WP through VMs...

For Cordova applications especially (- the main point being multi-platform exporting..), I
can add all my platforms to my project on an OS X machine for example but testing the different
platforms right now is a real pain.
The easiest solution one would think it so use VMs and that does work for almost all platforms
(ios, android, ubuntu etc.) apart from Windows.... T-T

-- Side note-- At Wizcorp we use http://www.vagrantbox.es/ and have a lot of our own production
environments packaged through vagrant too. I created a 64-bit Windows box so I could install
the WP SDK and VS but alas the Hyper-V problem. (Thanks BTW to your MSOpen team for contributing
the 32-bit boxes - they should add 64-bit, I tried reaching out on Twitter but no reply).

I'm pretty sure the Intel XDK guys would be interested in VM-ing WP deployments too. Since
they are getting way too pally with Apple, this could be a chance to Win(does) them back -
ha, yes I just wrote that ;)

I'd love to hear from anyone else on the channel if they test WP apps or plugins any other
way than Bootcamp (not a solution for me at work).

Ally.
Twitter @allyogilvie
Github @aogilvie

*Some Fun WP facts:*:

+ The Facebook Plugin according to PhoneGap Build is in over 61,000
+ Cordova
applications (rank #5 most popular plugin). - And none of them are Windows Phone applications,
because it does not support WP (because I cannot test or write for WP on my OS X machine T-T).

+ I'm pretty sure i'm the only resident in Japan to have a Windows Phone
(the HTC 8x, WP is not available in Japan!). [Japan pop. is 127,650,000 - 2014]

+ When I did a Cordova presentation at Microsoft HQ in Shinagawa (late
2013) most of the staff had never seen a Windows Phone before! :)

+ I'm your #1 fan in Japan :o

+ I'm currently writing a book on Cordova and i'll be adding WP
+ development
instructions (fortunately at home I have a Win PC). So please release WP OS
8.1 ASAP or send me an 8.1 compatible phone :)

--
<http://www.wizcorp.jp/>Ally Ogilvie
Lead Developer - MobDev. | Wizcorp Inc. <http://www.wizcorp.jp/>