cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Karpan" <ivan.kar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build proyect on different Android Cordova in the same PC
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:32:18 GMT
Hello Javier,

Yes, of course it is possible. I am also working on a project that started some time ago and
I have been upgrading the version of Cordova with its every update. In my case I needed a
solution that could also allow switching between branches and be able to easily reinstall
the relevant Cordova version. This was important to be able to test new Cordova version in
a separate branch as well as switch back and forth between versions when we did our releases.

Our team solved the problem by using a package manager, specifically - node. We added package.json
to our own source code and described there all of the dependencies our code had that could
be installed via npm. And so if say I would switch back to some older version triggering npm
install would downgrade all of the libraries to exactly those versions compatible with out
source code then.

This approach is also very useful if you need to set up the project on a new PC. npm install
and you are ready to go.

One other advantage is that while npm is able to install all the packages globally you should
do it locally (it is so by default). It will create a ./node_modules folder that you should
ignore for your source control. You will not have to store all the libraries you need in your
repository this way and you will also be able to work with multiple checkouts of your app
simultaneously and they will not conflict with one another. Be sure to use the local Cordova
cli (./node_modules/cordova/bin/cordova), you can create a symlink to make it easier.

You can read more about this here:

http://howtonode.org/managing-module-dependencies

One more tip - always specify the exact package version you are working with in your package.json.
This way you will not be automatically updated and when checking out an older version of your
source code all of the dependencies will be fixed.

I hope this helps.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Solana Huertas, Javier <jsolana@indra.es>
wrote:

> Hi!
> It is possible to have in one PC, differents android cordova  version  and generate (build)
the same project for each platform version?
> For example, right now we work with version 2.9 and want to test if the project is compatible
on actual version 3.6.4.
> Thanks!
> Javier Solana Huertas
> Software Labs
> [cid:image001.gif@01D01561.35401EB0]<http://www.youtube.com/user/theindracompany?feature=chclk>
> [cid:image002.gif@01D01561.35401EB0]<http://www.facebook.com/indracompany>
> [cid:image003.gif@01D01561.35401EB0]<http://twitter.com/#!/indracompany>
> [cid:image004.gif@01D01561.35401EB0]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/indra>
> [cid:image005.gif@01D01561.35401EB0]<https://plus.google.com/107135201985474086995/posts>
> [cid:image006.gif@01D01561.35401EB0]<http://www.indracompany.com/es/blogneo>
> ________________________________
> Este correo electr?nico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene informaci?n
de car?cter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios. Si no
es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado que la lectura, utilizaci?n, divulgaci?n
y/o copia sin autorizaci?n est? prohibida en virtud de la legislaci?n vigente. En el caso
de haber recibido este correo electr?nico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta
circunstancia mediante reenv?o a la direcci?n electr?nica del remitente.
> Evite imprimir este mensaje si no es estrictamente necesario.
> This email and any file attached to it (when applicable) contain(s) confidential information
that is exclusively addressed to its recipient(s). If you are not the indicated recipient,
you are informed that reading, using, disseminating and/or copying it without authorisation
is forbidden in accordance with the legislation in effect. If you have received this email
by mistake, please immediately notify the sender of the situation by resending it to their
email address.