cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Edna Y Morales <eymor...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cordova xxx add - is there a problem?
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:45:38 GMT

I have started doing some work on this. Currently "platform add" does a
check to see if the OS supports the platform. If it does not, then it just
automatically throws an error without attempting to add it. I have changed
this to just print out a warning message and continue with the process. The
"prepare" command does not seem to be giving me any issues when I add a
platform for which the environment is not set up so I think it's safe to
leave that.

The next issue is to be sure that the platform's "check_reqs" is not
getting called within the platform's create script. For Android, I believe
that was removed recently. Windows does not call it and I am currently
working on converting the iOS bash scripts to nodejs in which I have
removed the call to check_reqs. The check_reqs shouldn't be necessary until
you build and run.

The other thing to consider is what happens when you try to build using the
CLI for a platform that you don't have the environment set up for.
Currently, what I have implemented is that it will just end the process
with an error on the first platform it hits that cannot be built. It will
not try to build the remaining platforms. For example, if you are on a
windows machine and you do "build ios android", it's going to error out
when it try to build iOS and just end the process there. This is to avoid
running the after_build hooks and to let the user know that they can't
build for iOS. The idea there is that the user would skip building iOS and
just do "build android".

That is what I have so far and am open to any feedback or suggestions. My
first priority is to get the iOS scripts converted to nodejs so that the
iOS platform can be added even if you are on a nonsupported OS.

Thanks,
Edna Morales