cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <>
Subject [Android] MozillaView Update: PoC is working
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:08:36 GMT

Just an update, I have a working PoC of the GeckoView-based WebView ready
for people to look at here:

This is definitely a very different webview than what we have had
currently, and I've had to re-think a lot of how we do things with Cordova
because of it.  The asynchronous bridge that uses promises is very
interesting on GeckoView, as well as how this is properly sandboxed.  I
like it a lot better than how Chrome based web-views are currently working
with just bolting on an synchronous object.  However, due to time, and
because I didn't want to repaint the bike shed again, I kept the basic
bridge architecture mostly intact.

At any rate, from the initial tests, the bridge works and the plugins are
mostly intact.  I override the exec with clobbers, and while I haven't run
Mobile-Spec against the plugin version, the fact that it fires tells me
that the clobbers probably will work.

I am really worried about the Splashscreen and how we show and hide the
webviews, since this was found to be very brittle when I started to work on
this.  We should consider having more proper refactoring of Cordova.

At this point, now that we have two webviews, I think we should ramp up for
a 4.0 final release in January 2015. I don't want to do it now because I
can see people getting pissed off that we released 4.0 and then go on
vacation.  That said, I'm glad that this exists, since it feels like we're
finally at the finish line with this feature.