cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <>
Subject Re: [Android] MozillaView Update: PoC is working
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2014 22:06:16 GMT
On Thu Nov 27 2014 at 11:44:52 AM Andrew Grieve <>

> Had a look through the code. Looks great!
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Joe Bowser <> wrote:
> > Hey
> >
> > Just an update, I have a working PoC of the GeckoView-based WebView ready
> > for people to look at here:
> >

> > This is definitely a very different webview than what we have had
> > currently, and I've had to re-think a lot of how we do things with
> Cordova
> > because of it.  The asynchronous bridge that uses promises is very
> > interesting on GeckoView, as well as how this is properly sandboxed.  I
> > like it a lot better than how Chrome based web-views are currently
> working
> > with just bolting on an synchronous object.  However, due to time, and
> > because I didn't want to repaint the bike shed again, I kept the basic
> > bridge architecture mostly intact.
> >
> > At any rate, from the initial tests, the bridge works and the plugins are
> > mostly intact.  I override the exec with clobbers, and while I haven't
> run
> > Mobile-Spec against the plugin version, the fact that it fires tells me
> > that the clobbers probably will work.
> >
> Likely clobbers won't work for this since most modules access exec() via a
> require(). You can actually swap out the module though, using:
> define.remove('cordova/exec')
> define('cordova/exec', function(...))
> and use <runs/> to make it run before symbols are mapped.
Well, even though we have deviceReady firing, that's with no plugins
installed. Getting the new JS working again is the last step in getting
this working (right now, I have to use my custom branch of cordova-js for
the MozillaBridge).  There's also the fact that MozillaView does not use a
bridge secret.  I don't think that this should be a problem per-se, since
it's a PoC and not the final version, but this is something to keep in mind.

> > I am really worried about the Splashscreen and how we show and hide the
> > webviews, since this was found to be very brittle when I started to work
> on
> > this.  We should consider having more proper refactoring of Cordova.
> >
> > At this point, now that we have two webviews, I think we should ramp up
> for
> > a 4.0 final release in January 2015. I don't want to do it now because I
> > can see people getting pissed off that we released 4.0 and then go on
> > vacation.  That said, I'm glad that this exists, since it feels like
> we're
> > finally at the finish line with this feature.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> Agree with your thinking here. Let's shoot for code-complete asap, but then
> hold off until Jan. Also agree that it's a good time to look at
> refactorings (e.g. SplashScreen, CordovaBridge, sharing load timeout code)
I think SplashScreen makes sense.  CordovaBridge is too big to get done in
the next two weeks, so I think doing a post-4.0 release for that would be
good. I don't care if we do a 4.0 then a 5.0, as long as we're clear what
we're trying to do, I would rather us not cram all the refactoring in one

Also, we need more JUnit tests, and we need CI hooks for them.