cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: official bluetooth plugin
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:07:28 GMT
On Wed Nov 19 2014 at 11:57:34 AM Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Inoa,
> First off, please don't make demands, I mean it's just not polite,
> especially if this is the first time you've posted here. There are various
> reasons why we didn't create a Bluetooth plugin and it goes straight to
> project philosophy. We try to conform to W3C standards, and there is no w3c
> Bluetooth API (they are "working on it". still.). Barring that, we can
> still propose one, and we have to work out compatibility with all the
> platforms, and agree to an API.

There's also the fact that there's the whole "cease to exist" thing.  There
are numerous contributors who work on Bluetooth and BluetoothLE plugins for
various platforms.  I feel that the community provides better support for
third-party plugins than we do for the official plugins, and that the less
"official" plugins we maintain, the better off the project is as a whole.

As for the official plugins, it basically means that these plugins existed
when we donated the project to the ASF.  We will keep maintaining these
plugins until better alternatives exist either with it working directly in
the WebView (eg Android Geolocation), or with a third-party replacement
that has someone who really cares maintaining it.

I am extremely critical of adding new APIs when our existing APIs aren't
getting the support and attention that they need.  The first priority is
core, and making sure that developers have options for basic features such
as having a WebView that renders on the device they are targeting.