cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <>
Subject Re: Summarizing thoughts on cordova-browser vs Ripple
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:12:57 GMT
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Ray Camden <> wrote:

> >> On 11/15/14, 2:17 PM, "Michal Mocny" <> wrote:
> >>
> >>Not at all.  What is it you think we are proposing?  I'm merely
> >>suggesting
> >that the cordova-browser camera plugin implementation shouldn't *also*
> >come
> >with a DOM component that sits over top of your application to manipulate
> >the camera.  The existing BAAP camera implementation is great as currently
> >implemented, and wouldn't change.
> >
> >Another example would better illustrate the difference: BAAP geolocation
> >shim I believe should just use the browser geolocation api, or return a
> >single fixed location if that isn't available.  It needn't support
> >programmatically / UI for manipulating custom location, which Ripple
> >geolocation does.
> I’m with you on that - but I think that is an example that works well w/o
> UI and other plugins may not. Let’s consider contacts, specifically
> pickContact. I *would* be ok with a UI of some sort, perhaps just 3 simple
> contacts in a list, that that user can select. In theory it could also
> just automatically fire contactSuccess, but my point is that I’m not
> opposed to it providing a bit of UI as well.
> >>As an example, I¹ve got an app now which uses barcode scanning for one
> >> small part. By adding the Browser platform to the plugin, I am able to
> >>do
> >> all of my work in the browser now and fake a barcode when I need it.
> >>That
> >> is a problem that - imo - is much more valuable than supporting browser
> >>as
> >> a destination of my app.
> >>

> >If you just want to return a single fixed barcode, I agree BAAP should do
> >this.  If you want to be able to customize the barcode at runtime, with a
> >simple UI that is automatically injected into your page as part of the
> >runtime, then I think that is a task for Ripple (or other emulators).
> So I think this is the crux of our disagreement then. :) Right now the
> plugin (and I wrote this, so I may be biased ;) uses a prompt so you can
> enter a code. My thinking there was if you didn’t care, you would type 1
> and hit enter, but if you were passing the bar code to some service, you
> could paste something in. To me, that’s more useful then just using a hard
> coded value you can’t tweak. I think that usefulness outweighs the
> potential ‘loss’ of being able to run this as a real web app.

Fair enough.  Sounds like you want some of what I've proposed Ripple could
offer, but are concerned that Ripple won't be a viable/sustainable choice
for you.  To be honest, I share that concern.

For the barcode scanning example, I think a popup with an input box is
fine, even for prod, so long as the popup is presented as if to a user and
not as if to a developer.  Hopefully we can improve it to also offer an
input type=image, or to use the webcam (I haven't looked, not sure if it
does this yet).

If we really want separate dev mode and prod mode for a given plugin,
perhaps we can just add an api for toggle this.  I just hope to set the
precedent that the default isn't *just* for developer debugging.