cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject RE: cordova xxx add - is there a problem?
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 20:38:01 GMT
Hi Michal,

Thanks for the information and considering this.  The workflow that I want is somewhat different
than what you have inferred from my previous mail.

I do want “add” to set the metadata AND fetch the plugin sources / platform implementation.
 I think it is fair that if someone only wants to set the metadata, that they use a command
line option, or some other method, for that.

What I don’t want “add” to do is anything that requires the platform SDKs.  I want that
to happen with “prepare” and commands that occur post-prepare.  If “prepare” works
incrementally based upon the project metadata and knowledge of what it has done before, or
if “prepare” always redoes everything, then it should work if “add” does not call
“prepare”, right?  If “prepare” assumes that “add” has done any more than set
the metadata and fetch the sources, then a change would be necessary.

Here’s an example scenario – two developers working on the same project:

·        One uses CLI and develops on Mac for iOS and/or Android

·        One uses an IDE and develops on Windows for Windows Phone and/or Android

One user creates the project.  Either can add plugins and platforms.  The remainder of the
workflow is specific to the tools each user is using, but they don’t get into each other’s
way when they share the ‘project’ in git – i.e. the project sources and the project
metadata.

Really we just need to iron out and land what Gorkem started.  Does that sound fair?

Yes, but wouldn’t it be better to change “add” to not call “prepare”.  You suggested
a "--skip-prepare" or "--save-only" type flag for
the add commands.  This would work as long as developers remembered to us it when necessary.

Thanks,
Leo