cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Frederico Galvão <frederico.gal...@pontoget.com.br>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate "platform update" command?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 15:07:52 GMT
I fall in the scenario described by Tommy, but Michael said "it all" (most
of it): I keep my platforms under version control, so a _rm+add_ can be
managed and brought back to what I expect the platform to be in the end.
However, I do disagree in removing the concept of updates to the platfroms,
even if it's only android.

Cordova has come a long way up to try and make the platforms pure artifacts
and output from a build process, but the thing is that in real life, an
application needs much more than what config.xml and it's preferences can
give. Sometimes (I know it's rare) things go further down the line to
changes in native code, something that cordova's shell can't offer.
Even if it was a simple application that didn't need any changes in the
native shell, somethings needed for a release are not configurable in
config.xml, like the keystore info for android, the certificates and
provisioning profiles in ios (which is a hell to config and get working),
and stuff like that would have to be reconfigured after an update.

To sum it up: having my platform folders completely rebuilt against my will
on platform updates isn't a bad thing IN MY CASE, because I keep it under
version control and therefore I have control over the changes in the end,
however I'd prefer to have it be a separate command or an arg I could pass
to "platform update". I'd like to have the update process improved and
maintained, but if it's not a priority I can live without it. I have lived
like that from 1.7 to 2.9.1, I can do it again :).

--

*Frederico Galvão*

Diretor de Tecnologia

PontoGet Inovação Web