cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Independent platform release summary
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:22:31 GMT
I’ll have to admit that this seems a bit weird.  That is, independent versions of the CLI
and platforms, with a “Cordova release” named “something” – e.g. a date?

Imagine a user wants to know whether the new whitelist entry in config.xml is supported in
the versions of CLI and platforms that they have – assuming they understand the distinction
between the CLI and platforms to begin with.  They use some command to list the versions of
the “things” (CLI and platforms) they have installed.  They go to the individual documentation
of the “things” and try to figure it out.

The way the Cordova documentation works today is nice with the combo box where I can select
a Cordova version – 3.6.0, 3.5.0, ...  What would the combo box contain in the new versioning
scheme and how many entries would there be?  Are the answers “dates” and “lots of dates”?
 Or would there be no Cordova version documentation other than an explanation of how to get
the list of “things” you currently have and where to find the documentation on them.

To “pin” or not to “pin.

Note that, to me, the pinning choice defines what happens when I use “cordova {plugin |
platform} add foo” with no specific version specified.

I’ve understood, so far at least, that plugins are not pinned (an add always fetches something)
and platforms are pinned to a CLI version (an add tells the CLI that I will be using that
platform (already installed) for this project).  Everything I have read which includes 1 book
and the on-line project documentation, suggest that, even if not stating it explicitly.  E.g.
plugins talk about “fetching” and platforms don’t.  There is a way to fetch a specific
version of platform support.  That’s good and if I do that it is up to me to understand
the compatibility of the specific version I requested.

Is this true?  If so then the npm cordova behavior seems weird.  That is, if I “npm install
cordova” I get a set of pinned platforms.  If I “npm update cordova”, I get a new CLI
and nothing else – i.e. not the platforms that were pinned to that version of the CLI?

Should the plugin and platform ‘pin’ behavior be the same?

Should both be pinned?  Some may find this alternative “blasphemous” but the core plugin
versions tested with a version of the CLI could be pinned to the version of the CLI.

Should both not be pinned?  It would be more consistent and if users are OK with plugins being
unpinned, why not platforms?

But maybe plugins and platforms are different.  Plugins are purely run-time code.  Platforms
are primarily tooling with some run-time code.  Does that difference make the current pinning
behavior the best choice.

Maybe, but personally I would prefer both to be pinned – i.e. I install a version of Cordova,
and until I update it, every time I add a platform or ‘core’ plugin, I get the same thing.

Leo