cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Independent platform release summary
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 18:40:30 GMT

From: mmocny@google.com [mailto:mmocny@google.com] On Behalf Of Michal Mocny
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 11:25 AM
To: Treggiari, Leo
Cc: Michal Mocny; Marcel Kinard; dev
Subject: Re: Independent platform release summary

> I don't think its a goal for us developers, but I understand that it has been a goal
for end users (resistance to change, averse to risk, been bitten with bad upgrades in the
past..)

To me it is more about how much risk I want to take on at this point in time.  For example,
I may be fine with updating to latest and greatest at the beginning of a major release of
my app.  However, when I doing final testing, coming up on a deadline, I want minimal changes.

Leo

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Treggiari, Leo <leo.treggiari@intel.com<mailto:leo.treggiari@intel.com>>
wrote:
> - enable users to easily obtain the latest-and-greatest
> - clearly communicate to users what they have, so they can easily
> understand how what they currently have differs from the latest-and-greatest

I think there is another user goal, which may not be so easy to achieve.  That is, the ability
to easily understand how to take the Cordova release that I have, and do a selective update
to get fixes that I need.  I.e. I don't want the "latest and greatest", I want the minimal
change that fixes the problems I have to fix.

Does that have to be a goal?  I don't think its a goal for us developers, but I understand
that it has been a goal for end users (resistance to change, averse to risk, been bitten with
bad upgrades in the past..) but I believe the way to strive to solve that is to simplify upgrades,
not make it easier to ignore them.

Leo