cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Independent platform release summary
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2014 02:10:31 GMT
Here’s my concern regarding versions of things in Cordova.  As a developer I would use Cordova
to write portable applications.  Sure, maybe some developers use Cordova for other reasons,
but, to me at least, that seems to be the primary “draw”.

When writing a portable application, I want it to be as easy as possible to know that what
I want to use is supported everywhere I want to deploy my app.

Plugins have independent versions.  That makes sense.  As a developer I can see what the API
of plugin ‘FOO’ version ‘x.y.z’ is, and then look at a table to see where it is supported.
 That answers my questions about APIs and how I can use them in a portable manner.

I want the same to be true of ‘platform’ and Cordova CLI versions as much as possible.
 Maybe it is true already, but all of these independent releases and different platform version
numbers make me nervous.  For example, If a platform releases version 3.6.0, does that mean
that it supports the same set of features that other platforms that release 3.6.0 do?  The
major.minor.patch versioning scheme makes a great deal of sense.  However, imagine all platforms
started at version 3.0 with the same set of features.  Then 4 separate platforms each added
5 different features in an upward compatible manner and so they are now all at version 3.5.0.
 How does that help our users figure out how they can write a portable application?

Maybe there is a clear definition of what platform version numbers mean and I’m just not
aware of it.  Maybe a CLI release is not just a collection of the latest platform releases
and I’m just not aware of it.  It makes sense that platforms can release asynchronously,
but does the versioning scheme help the user figure out what is going on and when and where
they can expect common functionality across platforms?

Leo