cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Independent platform release summary
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2014 21:26:24 GMT
I agree that this is, and will be, confusing.  It was confusing today in our own discussions
in our own team (who are, in general, fairly Cordova savvy) to be talking about the Android
store issue related to "Cordova 3.5.1".  E.g. what did it mean to be talking about "Cordova
3.5.1", and what would a user need to do to get the fix?  What I took away was that a user
would need  Cordova CLI 3.5.0-0.2.7.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that
was wrong...

Anyway, a completely different (and possibly immediately dismissible) idea.  What if a Cordova
CLI version number was the same as the highest version number of the platforms supported by
that Cordova CLI version.  E.g. if the latest highest platform version was Android 3.5.1,
then the Cordova CLI version would be 3.5.1.  The supported other-platform version might be
lower - e.g. Windows 3.4.2 (totally made up version number...).

That doesn't instantly solve all problems.  What if the next platform release after Android
3.5.1 was Windows 3.4.3?  Cordova CLI can't remain at the highest version number.  So would
Cordova CLI become 3.5.2 or 3.5.1-1?  Should the Windows release be 3.5.2? Are there a specific
set of features associated with a specific platform major version number?  It seems that a
platform release named 3.x.y is expected to have a certain set of features implemented.  Is
a platform release named 3.4.x expected to have a certain set of features and a platform named
3.5.x expected to have those features plus some additional feature?

In general, what can a user expect these version numbers to mean.  E.g. if I as an app developer
want to use a particular recently added feature on multiple platforms, how do I determine
which versions of which platforms support the feature and which Cordova CLI version gives
me what I want?

Sorry, but it is confusing...

Leo