cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] continuous build and release process
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:48:08 GMT

On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH) <panarasi@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> About the release branches, is the idea that we continue to push stuff on master and
then create a new 3.7.0 branch when we would like to release 3.7.0?

For plugins and tools, I suggest that we follow exactly the same model as platforms. When
we are ready to release a new cordova-plugin-camera, the version bump is x.y+1.0 (i.e., "0.3.0"
-> "0.4.0") instead of x.y.z+1. And at the first rc, a branch is cut (i.e., "0.3.x"). And
instead of creating a tag of the form "r0.3.0" it be simply "0.3.0". Just like platforms.

> I am guessing that this would be for platforms and the tools.

Plugins and tools. To match how platforms work.

> How would this look when the platforms start getting released independently (we don’t
have to answer that now, but I guess we will look at it when platforms do get released independently).

From a versioning perspective, the version of each platform just runs on its own line. There
is no synchronization of version numbers across platforms. cordova-lib/.../platforms.js has
the table of all the most-recent platform versions, and the cli gets bumped anytime a platform
gets bumped, which means it will move fast. The cli version drops the suffix so it is a plain
format like the platforms. The classical meaning of "Cordova x.y.z" is gone, unless you want
to overload the cli version for that. Not entirely thought through or discussed yet.

> In addition to release branches, should we also ensure that feature branches are strictly
followed - i.e. master is always stable?

I think master should be stable. Test-before-push could be a suitable substitute for strictly
having topic branches. I mean, we're doing that already, right? :-o

> I am guessing that these release branches will live on forever and in case of security
patches, we would go back and apply them to the each branch?

Yes.

Anyway, these are my opinions.