cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] shrinkwrap
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:18:07 GMT
Personally, I've never got into shrinkwrap. In my opinion, it's another
barrier to contribution and another place for mistakes to be made.

I prefer on the old-school "shrinkwrap" approach, which is explicitly
specifying each dependency version:
https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-cli/blob/master/package.json#L29-L40

Discrete and explicit commits mark where and when dependencies are upgraded:
https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-cli/commit/e6d68e47a3a5cf4e9e6308467a6ae7716f6c5f9d

It's clean. It's simple. It's an `npm install` away.

With that said, shrinkwrap can be useful when our projects are using a fork
of a dependency that hasn't accepted our patch. Do we have that use case in
Cordova?

In general, I lean the approach that is simpler, less error prone, and
encourages new contributors.

Thanks for starting this discussion Marcel!
Michael