cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <>
Subject Re: 3.6 cordova plugin versions
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:59:44 GMT

You are right.  When we do a platform release, we test with the latest
plugins to make sure the platform isn't breaking things.  When we do a
plugins release, we test with the latest platforms to make sure the plugins
are breaking things.

In theory, we should know when plugins depend on a certain minimum platform
version, and even have a plugin.xml tag to specify this (<engine>), though
its a bit indirect and in practice I'm not sure that the requirements are
well specified (many plugins just say >= 3.0.0).

I think whether you consider this a problem depends a bit on your workflow
and cordova development philosophy.  Namely, do you make any native
platform changes directly in platforms/?  If so, upgrading to the latest of
everything all the time is a burden, and you may want well specified
compatibility.  On the other hand, if your platforms/ are treated as build
artefacts, and all your work is in hooks/ plugins/ and www/, its quite
trivial to upgrade platforms, sample different plugin versions, and

In theory, we want to support both flows.  In practice, its quite tedious
and relies on plugin authors to put in the legwork, which doesn't usually
happen.  If you were interested in testing plugins on older cordova
platform versions, or perhaps you already maintain a list, that would be
useful to share with us.  However long term, I'd personally prefer to see
people less hesitant to just upgrade often, and that has certainly been the