cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject [iOS 8] Status of WKWebView work
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2014 18:40:17 GMT
I figure I will write this all up before the official release of iOS 8 next
week (probability high) and everyone asking about support.

It has stalled because the WKWebView cannot load files using the file://
protocol since iOS 8 beta 4.

This bug has been filed with Apple weeks ago:
http://www.openradar.me/radar?id=5839348817723392

I even checked WebKit check-ins if there was any progress, so far, no:
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/Cocoa?order=date&desc=1
(but it's entirely possible the loading code is in another part of the
tree).

The alternative is to run a local web server, which works great. However,
this will open up a can of worms possibly with Apple, I'm not sure.

The other interesting tidbit is, with WKWebView, for locally loaded files
using the file:// protocol, cross-domain restrictions now apply, unlike
UIWebView's behaviour. To have the same behaviour as UIWebView, we would
need to proxy these requests (modify xhr.open to go to our proxy, which
requires the local web server).

The bridge works great, and plugins work great.