cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <>
Subject Re: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 01:55:27 GMT
Splitting out the docs would be really tough for some things:
- cross-cutting: "Platform support", "Icons & Splashscreens"
- Generic in nature: "Privacy Guide", "Security Guide", etc

Handling translations is also a pain the more we extract things out.

Having CLI create pre-project docs is a neat idea, but online is where
people look.

So.... I think I've warmed up to the idea of generating new docs for
each CLI release. For platform-specific things, we'll still need to
say when features are introduced though, since updating your CLI
doesn't mean you've updating your platforms.

I think we'll need to have our docs generation de-dupe images assets
instead of creating copies for each version / language since that's
99% of the file size in the repo.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Carlos Santana <> wrote:
> Yes Ray, that's what I meant as a new Design for the Docs website. To be a
> consolidated simple view of the docs, but the real docs will be associated
> with each component as an implementation detail.
> It can also be a consolidated view of docs as utility of the cordova CLI,
> for example "$cordova docs" launches a local web server, open the browser,
> and serves a local website with the content coming form the versions of the
> things being used in your cordova project/folder (ios, plugin1, plugin2)
> We need to try different things, get feedback and iterate
> And feedback from coming form developers such as yourself.
> --Carlos
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Ray Camden <> wrote:
>> Keep in mind - the average developer probably has no idea what
>> cordova-ios, cordova-cli, and cordova-lib means. They npm install cordova,
>> and to them, that's it.

View raw message