cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] shrinkwrap
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:37:03 GMT

On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:32 PM, Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH) <panarasi@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> If we do have shrinkwrap in git at all times, who would be responsible for updating not
only the versions of our dependencies, but also the dependencies of these dependencies?

One thought on this is that the release manager could do it at the beginning of a new release
on master, separate from the tagged/branched release that is being packaged for release. Similar
to how we add a "-dev" suffix, that's when there could be a systemic refresh. And of course,
if a developer finds a technical driver to refresh the dependents and shrinkwrap in the middle
of a dev cycle, it would happen there too.

> Why should cordova-lib and cordova-plugman not have shrinkwraps? Not all tools use cordova-cli
as a way to build cordova apps. There were also discussions about using cordova-lib being
the public API to build apps. If that is the case, judging by our shrinkwrap philosophy, we
need that file on all repos that we say are public API.

My thinking is that since a shrinkwrap is fully recursive, only the top-level package needs
to have the shrinkwrap. If there is a separate third-party app that uses cordova-lib, they
can choose whether or not to have a shrinkwrap, and it wouldn't be partially forced on them
by its presence inside cordova-lib.  Well, and it's also a pain for us to generate shrinkwraps
inside our own dependencies.