cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Polivy <...@cellartracker.com>
Subject RE: [Camera] iOS8: Handle case where camera is not authorized?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:36:18 GMT
Thanks, Jesse. JIRA issue is created for this:

I have a code change locally that seems to work well for me. Shall I put it in a PR, or paste
the code into the bug? It does require AVFoundation (to call the API below), and some localized
strings to display in the alert dialog – though the latter could be handled by the JS caller
if necessary.

Dan

From: Jesse [mailto:purplecabbage@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 4:15 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Cc: Dan Polivy
Subject: Re: [Camera] iOS8: Handle case where camera is not authorized?

Thanks Dan!

Please create an issue in JIRA [1]
You can assign component "iOS, Plugin Camera, Plugin Capture"
This looks pretty easy to fix, so I don't think you'll have to wait long.

Cheers,
  Jesse

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel

@purplecabbage
risingj.com<http://risingj.com>

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Dan Polivy <dan@cellartracker.com<mailto:dan@cellartracker.com>>
wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm working on iOS 8/iPhone 6 compatibility for my Cordova app, and one thing that's new in
iOS 8 is the ability to enable/disable access to the camera on a per-app basis, for all regions.
(Previously, I think this was only limited to certain regions such as China.)

As of iOS 7, there's a new API to test whether the app has access to capture the desired media
type:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/AVFoundation/Reference/AVCaptureDevice_Class/index.html#//apple_ref/occ/clm/AVCaptureDevice/authorizationStatusForMediaType:

[AVCaptureDevice authorizationStatusForMediaType:mediaType];

I didn't see any existing issues or discussion on this topic, so thought I'd bring it up here.
Is detecting this scenario, and popping up a UIAlertView notifying the user (and offering
a button to take them to the settings app), a reasonable addition to the camera plugin? I'm
happy to put together a PR and file an issue if you think it's worth adding.

Thanks,
Dan

(I'm not on the dev list, so please include me directly in all replies.)