cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] shrinkwrap
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:32:16 GMT
If we do have shrinkwrap in git at all times, who would be responsible for updating not only
the versions of our dependencies, but also the dependencies of these dependencies?

Why should cordova-lib and cordova-plugman not have shrinkwraps? Not all tools use cordova-cli
as a way to build cordova apps. There were also discussions about using cordova-lib being
the public API to build apps. If that is the case, judging by our shrinkwrap philosophy, we
need that file on all repos that we say are public API.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Koudritsky [mailto:kamrik@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:21 AM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] shrinkwrap

> I suggest that:
> - The shrinkwrap exist in git at all times, not just during the
> release process.

-1 for that. Having shrinkwrap at all times will result in postponed discovery of incompatibilities
with newer versions (which are usually trickier than shrinkwrap problems) until you nuke node_modules
during release. From my experience for repos that had it, it also resulted in a great deal
of confusion for contributors.

- At the beginning of a new dev/test cycle in a project that has a
> shrinkwrap, developers should not only "git pull", but should also "rm
> -r node_modules ; npm install".

+1, no need to use shrinkwrap in cordova-lib, only cordova-cli and
cordova-plugman (they don't depend on each other now, both contain executables calling into
cordova-lib).