cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:49:25 GMT
Thanks for the input Ray!

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014, Ray Camden <raycamde@adobe.com> wrote:

> I'll echo the issues I raised before. If the docs say that so and so is
> supported, but it is for edge and not the current release, I think that
> would be a huge mistake. I consider myself a pretty good Cordova dev and I
> think even I would be confused as well. (I almost never run anything but
> the released version so I can be sure what I blog, help folks with, etc,
> matches the released version.)
>
> For either option, edge would be equivalent to latest released work. Even
if you make changes on master for cordova-docs, it wouldn't be pushed to
edge unless we were doing a docs release and the feature was being
released. This is definitely something we need to keep track of. I don't
think we have been bitten by this before though and don't imagine it being
a big problem with either option and setting default docs to edge.

Moving platform docs to platform repos and grabbing them at build time for
docs would hopefully prevent this type of situation from arising.

> Please, please, please do not do this.
>
> Why can't the docs simply be updated w/o updating the bits? Is that really
> the case? If so, fix *that* bug.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by above? The reason we are needing
to switch docs is because we are not doing cadence releases after 3.6.0. So
either we have docs live with no version or we version it along side the
CLI. Ex. CLI could be at version 5, cordova-firefox could be at version
3.7.0, cordova-android could be at version 4.2, etc. What would the
versions of docs be?